Thursday, July 14, 2011

anatomy of a costume

Alternately titled, what I did with my Thursday morning. As you all probably know, tonight is the motion picture event we've been waiting for--the U.S. midnight premiere of the last Harry Potter movie (unless you're super lucky and are currently in New Zealand cough *megan* cough and already saw it). And if you didn't know that, or are not a Rowling fan, just stop reading now. Because otherwise you will think I'm very strange.
As its the last movie, we're going all out and dressing up. I have decided to be Luna Lovegood because she's such a fun character and gives you lots of great costume options.


Unfortunately, I do not have the time or patience to make a lion hat. But here is what I did do. 
My costume philosophy for established characters is somewhat akin to method acting. Yes, try and find whatever the book or movies had them wearing, but its perfectly acceptable to add something if it fits the character.
 Start with classic Ravenclaw uniform: black skirt, white button down, grey sweater, blue/silver tie:
Now, add a bunch of oddly patterned and assorted thing like scarves, knee socks, sneakers, giant purses. bonus points for wearing items in a fashion they were not intended for and/or not matching.
Next, add Luna-ish accesories. Lots of necklaces with pendants, that sort of thing.

The things the books mentioned were: necklaces made out of butterbeer corks, earrings made of radishes, copies of her father's magazine The Quibbler, and Spectrospecs.

For the final touches: Hair should be worn down and wavy, make it look as long as possible. If you want, stick flowers or something in it. Paint your nails an unusual color. Look spacey. 
Finished product:

And not to brag or anything, but I also turned my little brother into Professor Lupin and my sister into Hermione Granger. 

Also, a very merry happy birthday to my wonderful sister, who is officially of wizarding age today.

Birthday morning coffee cake.

Luna Lovegood inspired playlist:
I'm Not Calling You A Liar--Florence + the Machine
Eet--Regina Spektor
Possibility--Lykke Li
Starry Eyed--Ellie Goulding
Boy Lilikoi--Jonsi
Generator (Second Floor)--Freelance Whales
If You Can't Sleep--She & Him



No comments: