Wednesday, July 13, 2011

I never really noticed how much I listen to music until recently. I got a comparatively late start; it was around junior year that I branched out from top forty. I blame this partly on the fact that my mother doesn't listen to music. At all. I didn't even realize our car had a radio until I started driving. One time, I asked her what music she listened to in high school (and she lived in California in the seventies--loads of music. Everywhere) and she said she didn't. And because of this, our house is silent. I was used to it when I lived here, but after the dorm experience its a little eerie that you can hear our grandfather clock tick all over the house.
                          



So now I'm constantly listening to music. When I sleep, when I cook, when I study, when I write, when I run--if I'm not actually talking to another person, my playlist-of-the-moment is playing. I've started making playlists of two or three songs that fit a really specific, self-invented genre. Also making playlists of whatever I was listening to all week--like a music time capsule of sorts. 

My 7/11 playlist:
Follow Suit--Trent Dabbs
Blinding--Florence + the Machine
Into the Fire--Thirteen Senses
Shuffle Your Feet--Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
Queen of (K)nots--Matt Nathanson
Blood Bank--Bon Iver
Skinny Love (cover)--Birdy

No comments: