Sunday, July 17, 2011

a lazy sunday

perfect weather (for the first all summer) + recovering from the first late late night I'd had in a while + hanging out with two amazing girls + reading up on the emerging GOP candidates because I am a dork + watching ridiculous TV shows + running + new music + finding out my car should be back by Thursday (fingers crossed) + lots of my little projects/long term plans coming together + great sermon in church today  = good weekend and the perfect cap to a wonderful two week vacation.
back to work tomorrow--hopefully it will go well and I will be able to come up with activities for the kiddos.
Listening to:
The Civil Wars. I've had their music for a while but I never got around to listening to them--they're fantastic. 
Also, I have this thing where I create playlists for very specific sub-genres of music. The songs have to fit a certain mood or have a feel to them that matches the others. I keep these four song playlists around for years with no change and then one day, bam!, I'll hear a song and go "Wow, that's absolutely perfect for my nordic lighthouse playlist!"
 One of my favorites I have christened "Bluesy Harmonica Put to Good Use". Most of the songs do have harmonica, but in general they're folksy-bluesy-alt rock songs with stomp to them that simultaneously remind me of Cold Mountain and taking a road trip through the Carolinas. And with my (re)discovery of the Civil Wars, there is a new addition! Fair warning, if you don't like the first track, you won't like the rest of 'em. 
Barton Hollow--The Civil Wars
Believer--Viva Voce
Follow Suit--Trent Dabbs
Wagon Wheel (cover)--Against Me
Complicated Shadows--Elvis Costello
Fault Line--Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
Done All Wrong--Black Rebel Motorcycle Club

The Civil Wars--Barton Hollow

No comments: